An Energy Management System will help you to manage your solar and save money. Ginninderry recommends three providers:
- Combined Energy
Each Home Energy Management System has an app for your phone to manage your energy usage in real time, reduce costs and manage your system. Find out more on Ginninderry’s Buyer’s Toolkit.
This beginner guide to solar is a great run down on how to manage your solar system.
Don’t forget to clean your solar panels! An annual clean will do wonders to keep them working in top condition.
Heating and Cooling
One of the beautiful things about living in Canberra is the changing seasons, but this can be a challenge to adjust to. To reduce power usage as well as to acclimatise to changes in weather try to use this guide.
|Cool to 24C
|Heat to 19C
Try to manage your internal temperatures naturally. Keep blinds closed, install external shading, open your house up at night and close it during the day.
Energy and Resource-Saving Habits
You can save resources at home by practising some simple habits.
- Switching off lights, fans and heaters in rooms that are not in use.
- Closing the blinds and curtains on hot days to keep your house cooler naturally.
- Grow a deciduous tree or vine on your north wall. External shading is the most effective way to keep your house cool!
- Keeping unused rooms closed in Winter for more efficient heating.
- Boiling only just as much water as is needed at a time.
- Clean out the fridge regularly (it takes more energy and costs more money to cool a full fridge).
- Empty your water bottles onto pot plants or into the garden.
- Turn off the tap while brushing your teeth.
There’s an App for that!
Have a look at The Neighbourhood Effect. Developed by a Canberra local, it’s designed to help people reduce their environmental impact.