The ACT Bushfire season starts around October/November each year. Check the ESA website for that year’s start date (| ACT Emergency Services Agency), and information on what to do before, during and after a bushfire.
It’s important to consider this information before the event of a bushfire.
- At the start of the bushfire season, get your home ready ACT-Bush-Fire-Survival-Plan-2013 pg 7 v2).
- Create a Bushfire Survival Plan for your household (see the ESA website – Survival Plan.pdf (act.gov.au)).
- Prepare your Emergency Kit (Home Emergency Kit Checklist.pdf (act.gov.au))
- Be familiar with the Evacuation Checklist (Bushfire Survival Plan 2018.pdf (act.gov.au)).
To report a fire emergency
- Call Triple Zero (000)
- If you are deaf or have a speech or hearing impairment call 106
For information on fires
- Check our Fires Near Me page for current incidents
- Listen to local media
- ESA Facebook page – ACT Emergency Services Agency | Facebook
- Follow your bush fire survival plan Survival Plan.pdf (act.gov.au). If you do not have a bush fire survival plan, ensure you know what you will do before, during and after the fire.
- Remember – leaving early is your safest option.
If you can, contact your family and friends and check on your neighbours.
There’s an App for that!
Install “Fires Near Me” on your phone to keep up to date with fires in your area.